Troll humanism.

From: yfcw29_at_castle.ed.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 95 15:40:10 BST

Jim Chapin says :

>I'd like to wade into this debate a bit: the trouble with Sandy's
>portrayal of trolls as simply unchecked human ids is not that it's too
>different from humans, but that it is too much the same! It just
>makes trolls into a variation of humans! If you want races that are
>really different in psychology, let me suggest the Ruml from Gordon
>Dickson's The Alien Way, who act in ways that are horrifying to humans,
>but are the result of a totally different psychology (no unchecked id!).

Gloranthan trolls are part of the same creation as humans and have many mythological connections with them. Furthermore, Trolls have a strong connection to the man rune, which is the orriginal mould from which all the man-like races of glorantha were (at least partialy) formed. The man rune defines what it is to be human in glorantha.

If you wan truly alien creatures on glorantha, there are plenty of nonhuman races with no man rune connection. Broo, to take an example from recent discussions, have no significant man rune connection, and so cannot be expected to behave in a human (or especialy a humane) fashion. For Kafer-like nonhumans, you might try a variety of Timinits - sentient insects.

Simon Hibbs
yfcw29_at_castle.ed.ac.uk