Sandy's chaos trolls

From: richardc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Thur, 24 Aug 1995 13:57:08 +0100

Sandy has some bizarre things to say about troll morality.
:
>Paraphrasing - they have no sense of love, loyalty, or
>altruism but rely on such emotions in others to maintain their
>positions.

:

Presumably the presence of these emotions in non-trolls. How many trolls' positions of power depend on the love, loyalty or altruism of non-trolls?
:

>Again paraphrasing - trolls are capable of loving their >offspring, this has nothing to do with morality.
:

Leaving aside the inconsistency of the "no sense of love"/ "capable of love" dichotomy and the "love not related to morality" thing which I'm not enough of a theologist to argue over, I find it very difficulty to conceive of love without altruism.
:

Sandy, would you use the word love to cover animals' strategies of feeding their offspring to increase their chance of passing on their genes?
:

Finally Sandy seems to be saying that because (fictional) humans in Glorantha can get along in troll society, real humans (on Earth) should be able to roleplay them quite happily despite his interpretation of their psychology.
:

Is it me putting words in Sandy's mouth (on his monitor?) or is that a major non sequitur?
:

Yours puzzled,
:

Richard Crawley