Trolls

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 14:03:18 +1300

Trolls:

On the subject of trolls and Freudian Psychology: 'Tell me about you mother' says it all, irrespective of the bogusity of Freudian schtick.

> Well, the pernicious Lunars are always the exception when it comes
>to Chaos.
>Remember that the Lunar allied trolls (such as Bina Bang) are conducting
>active missionary work among the non-Lunar trolls in order to soften their
>attitude to Chaos. In fact, the Lunar trolls acceptance of chaos is about
>as typical as the Lunar trolls acceptance of the Lunars many Light
>connections.

Bina Bang has been retired for some time now. The story of the Dagori Inkarth's fight against the Lunar Empire has been distorted by Minaryth Purple into an Anti-Chaos Crusade, IMHO. After all the Trolls of Shadow's Dance, Halikiv and the Elder Wilds didn't join the fight. I think Dagori Inkarth was put up to it by Tarshite Agitprops with spurious facts ('Look! the Red Moon violates the Great Compromise by Shining where no Light should be!') into making the Uz think she was _Gbaji_ come again. Bina Bang came and showed them the truth and Dagori Inkarth ceased its support of Tarsh. And that is the last we hear of Bina Bang. I don't think there are organized missionary activities to convert the Uz of other regions to the Red Moon. It sounds untrollish for starters.

The Trolls do not to my mind make a significant distinction between Chaos and other Bad Things. _Everything_ which hurts them is Bad. Humans, Sun, Dwarves, Iron etc. Some are more badder than others but the differences are only ones of degree rather than of kind.

> The cave trolls are a different situation - I think trolls tolerate
>their minor chaos taint, as humans sometimes tolerate Telmori, but consider
>it a sign of weakness and natural inferiority (so slavery is all they are
>ever going to get). Even trolls can appreciate that they do not actually
>worship chaos, and so are more its victims.

And so they would feel the same to Feral Broos who do not worship Chaos? Hardly. I think recognizable kinship really counts in the Trolls eyes. Afterall look at Trollkin. They have been wounded by Bad Things, Gbaji even and I don't see Zorak Zorani Berserks running around chopping them to bits...and claiming they had fought a major battle against Chaos afterwards <He adds as an afterthought>.

> I think this is probably how most trolls feel about it, but I think
>the ZZers, and some KLers, will go out of their way to destroy it as a
>moral duty. Certainly their religious rituals would seem to indicate that
>fighting chaos is a particular obligation of the cult.

Um, what religious rituals? Kyger Litor skinning Thed? Hell, them Uz are know to skin everybody if they are in the mood. Zorak Zoran killing Pocharngo, Krjalk and others? Don't forget Flamal and other innocents. The image of Uz and their Gods as being diameterically opposed to Chaos is largely an image of Orlanthi PoV's about Trolls. The Lunars would view any Uz hatred of them as being a result of their worship of the Celestial Gods (Heaven and Hell) rather than the Red Moons use of Chaos.