Truestone and Illuminated Chaos

From: Edward S. Tonry <c60est1_at_corn.cso.niu.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 23:29:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 23 Aug 19 Sandy wrote:

> I would play that an illuminated being _can_ use truestone
> to store spells, but not chaotic spells, or spells from a chaotic
> deity.
> Note that Truestone is an exceedingly painful object to
> chaotic beings -- it sets up the universal impulse to discharge
> one's Rune magic into it, but then a chaos being's magic _cannot_ be
> so received, so the frustration must be incredible. I suspect most
> magic chaos beings hate the stuff because of the psychic pain it
> causes.

Of course, this means that the illuminated chaotic being can only discharge part of his Rune magic, while being impelled to discharge all of it. Aside from the pain of this psychic constipation, there is also the sudden realization, unnerving to an illuminate, that his illuminated balance of chaos and order is being actively rejected by a part of nature, a mere stone. This may give him second thoughts about the validity of illumination. It's certainly something the artful GM can use to bedevil PC's with.

Ed Tonry