RE: Rust, Illuminates and Truestone (fwd)

From: Majordomo <major_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 1995 21:51:33 -0400 (EDT)

Forwarded message:
>From postmaster_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu Mon Aug 21 06:03:20 1995
From: "Akkerman, Justin" <JAkkerma_at_vmcsnat2.telecom.com.au> To: owner-glorantha-digest <owner-glorantha-digest_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu> Subject: RE: Rust, Illuminates and Truestone Date: Mon, 21 Aug 95 20:05:00 EST

This was on the rules list but I felt the reply was better directed to the glorantha list.

>> I don't think anything actually rusts in Glorantha.
>
>The mundane world is inside time and time implies change. Entropy has
>entered the world as an offshoot of chaos and never been removed.
>Two reasons why I think metals should rust.
>
>On the other hand there is probably no rust on the timeless Godplane.
>

>Nick H

I am inclined to disagree with your line of reasoning. Metal is the bones of the Gods. Most metal (was made/came about) in the Gods Age. Metal that is here has been here since before time. What ever happens to metal should be viewed in this framework.

Maybe Iron rusts b/c it is made by dwarves and is not of the Gods. Not much from the Dwarves is perfect, despite their striving, the World Machine, Diamond Dwarves, et c.

Maybe these Gods who's bone we have. Drifted from the mortal sphere. First their power wanes. Then they move to Vithela/Luathela (sort of like Florida). Their names are forgotten. Then they snuff it. They rot and all that remains are their bones. This would mean heaps of metal in the lands of Dawn/Dusk. These eventually vaporise like the rest of their being ==> RUST!

This is a nice theistic rationalization of rust. The one you gave sounds like one a Western Atheist would put forward. Upon reflection both are probably right. It is a good thing the God Learners aren't around to read this post.

A little while ago people were speculating about illuminants using truestone. Some comments had the depth of analysis of "it is a dumb piece of rock how would it know?". Again bear in mind the mythic implications. Trustone which is now scattered all over the world and has its greatest concentration at the Block is the body of Acos, god of Law, Primal Mountain. When Chaos entered the Spike it exploded and created the Void at the center of the world. Now when the remnants of Acos contact Chaotics the Chaotics are harmed.

When it comes to Illuminants interacting with pieces of Acos (truestone) what happens must be considered in the context of the following: What would Acos do if an Illuminant walked his halls?

Justin A
Sorry that all I provide is more questions.