whales, baboons, lunar soldiers

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 95 14:55:00 PDT

Y'all -

I'm dazed from catching up on Digests...

Concept: trolls raised by humans/vice versa - it goes in my PC surprises pile!

Tim Ellis describes baboons raiding whale watchers: fabulous! An animal story right up there with coyotes playing "dead" to catch vultures.  Non-human animals can be pretty clever.

Cetaceans in Glorantha: I think some have been mentioned in the East Isles?  There ought to be whales, because they have so many nifty behavioral traits that could be used in a sea adventure. Orcas are matriarchal, cooperative hunters with clan rivalries, sperm whales stun their prey with powerful blasts of sound, large rorquals communicate thousands of miles with loud calls with frequencies below human hearing. And of course there have to be dolphins to rescue drowning PC's.

How about dolphins wandering up the Zola Fel? Or he last remnants of the Oslir's intelligent life still living in the White Sea? (Something like a beluga or a river dolphin, maybe.) Heck, why not a great white moon whale?;-)

I'd link them with Magasta or Triolina(?) the mother of sea creatures. They could be enemies or allies of mermen, sea elves, sea trolls, even humans.

Stephen - let's hear about what the Lunar rookies are up to in Sartar! I'll post the stories of the Jarangsons' trip to DragonPass tomorrow.

Pam