Re: Chaotic confusion

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_fit.qut.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 14:51:47 +1000 (EST)

Ray Turney voices
> It is also a specific rune, tied to a specific source of magical power,
> which is innate in some creatures, and which some traditions can access.
> In spite of the ravings of the Orlanthi it is not at all clear that this
> power is evil in itself. I would hesitate, for example, to declare that a
> Hon-Eel worshipper who used chaos to obtain enhanced APP and DEX, thus making
> her a better dancer, is evil. But, like Death and Disorder, it tends to
> attract bad elements. And there is no cult of chaos corresponding to
> Humakht that is universally accepted as transforming the power of chaos and
> discipling its users so as to make them arguably good.

I would have thought that it would be impossible for any chaos creature (except *perhaps* a god of chaos) to guarantee anything as constant as enhanced APP and DEX. Part of chaos seems to be random mobility/change. So while the HonEel worshipper may allow chaos into their life, they could never guarantee that the result would be the one wanted. That's the difference between worshipping chaos and worshipping Larnste - Larnste is ordered change, chaos is random change.

On that line, the closer the ties of the worshipper to chaos, culminating in herodom, I would think the more random the chaotic changes would become. Sort of the opposite to the gaining of the RQ2 infinity rune - instead of gaining control of all the flux around you, you *lose* control of the control of the flux - sometimes you have total control, sometimes a bit, sometimes none.

Yet Eurmal, disorder, is allowed. And Eurmal was revelling in the situation in the Dark age when there was so much change, almost none for the good of anyone... so why isn't he considered chaotic?

rambling Robert