Cults & Archives

From: Shannon Appel <appel_at_erzo.ORG>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 19:17:56 -0700

On Cults:
>If you wanted to go digging, you could find the Cacodemon Cult in
>RQ2's "Griffin Mountain" (along with Foundchild the Hunter, equivalent
>to Trollpak's "Hunter"), and Mostal in an early issue of "White Wolf"
>magazine (numbered somewhere around the teens), but there's no need to
>go to all the trouble. There's an old Different Worlds mag (in the
>twenties) which includes a lot of good material on Mostali: not a
>formal cult writeup, but arguably this stuff would be more useful in
>playing and running dwarfs

To be precise, the Mostal writeup is in White Wolf #15 and the issue of Different Worlds concerning the Mostali is #24. Cacodemon is also in Different Worlds #2, and Foundchild in #7 -- these may be a bit cheaper to get ahold of then Griffin Mountain. Check out the magazine indexes on ftp.csua.berkeley.edu in the /pub/rpg-index directory, as they contains full information on Different Worlds, White Wolf and lots of other magazines.

>From: yfcw29_at_castle.ed.ac.uk
>Subject: Do we need a forum for online RQ articles?
>
>I recently resubscribed to this list, and am again impressed by the
>quality and utility of much of what appears here. I know the dailys
>are archived, and I have downloaded some of the ones I have missed.
>The problem is it is hard work diging through dozens of digests to
>pull out a handfull of what are, in effect, full blown articles. For
>example - cult writeups, Sandy's Doraddi stories, scenarios, etc.
>
>Contrast this with the situation on the Nephilim digest. Chat and
>discussions go on the list, but full blown articles go to the
>Chaosium Digest. That way they are fully indexed and archived
>as articles, and are a lot easier to find.
>
>Something like this for RQ would be incredibly usefull. I know
>Shannon has kept the Chaosium Digest RQ free, probably because
>he does not want it dominated by a single system.
>
>Does anyone else feel the same way?

For one, I feel precisely the same way. In fact, it was something I was considering last year. My only question would be: "Is this a niche being adequately filled by Web pages currently?" I know there is a lot of info scattered over WWW currently, but don't know if it's really an archival of the full-length non-discussion articles from the Gloranthan Digest, as Simon suggests.

If there is genuinelly a need for such (and Loren is in support of it, as he's the one currently running this show), I have some ideas for how to implement it, and would even be willing to edit it. But, I'll wait to see other opinions before jumping in.

Shannon

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #82