Clarissa: Illigs' Journey

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 95 16:53:00 PDT

Illigsaga Chapter One: The Path to a New Stead (By Greg Richard)

     Building upon Gulik the Stout's path, my father, Jarang Steadfounder, lead our family away from the foul winds that were blowing across Jungardi.  Theya Two-Mothers equipped and maintained the wagon, while Svar lead the herd forward with the support of Heorl, Utag, and myself. Once we had passed through the lands of Jungardi Orlanth's breeze grew stronger and the herd was easier to manage.

     With Orlanth's favor we traveled forward without incident. At Whitewall we were greeted by Leika's kin, and held a great feast in her honor. Jarang gifted them with a cow, and we enjoyed their hospitality.  That night, however, we heard loud eerie chants and screams of pain; I wish

I had not learned the brutal language of darktongue. Blurry eyed and cautious of all shadows, we left Whitewall without losing any of our herd.

     At Centaur Cross, Heorl spoke about dragons, death, and the Stone Cross. Theya prepared the rituals, Svar slaughtered the sheep, and Jarang spoke of our future. Orlanth Dragonbreaker was pleased, and we were allowed

to cross.

          We entered into the Balmyr Tribe's land and participated in the celebration of Ernalda's seasonal holy day. Theya left with the Balmyr women to perform Ernalda's secrets. At the height of the festival Utag and Svar became extremely friendly with the local women. A few of the men disapproved of my brothers' conduct, but trouble was adverted with the appearance of Jarang, Heorl, and myself. Although the locals were offended,

they didn't appear to want to fight when the odds were no longer in their favor.

     In the morning, we continued upon our way. After leaving the Balmyr lands we came across Clearwine. In Orlanth's great temple, the men made their sacrifices and thanked Orlanth for his generosity. The following morning we were granted audience with King Kagradus. Jarang offered him a cow, which was recorded by a gray sage. Jarang then inquired to the whereabouts of Gulik the Stout. Harshax the gray sage left to check his records, and Heorl was honored to stand in his place.

         We learned that Gulik the Stout had a stead in the lands of Varmand

the Strong. Although the rumors of Varmand the Strong were vague they had a

strong reaction upon Heorl and Theya. They feared that Varmand may be no better than Ortossi, and were hesitant towards seeking a stead in his lands.

 I tried to reassure my family that these were but rumors. We know little of Varmand, except that he has been exposed to unfavorable circumstances and

has managed to prevail. Furthermore, we can all attest to Gulik's good nature, and he has become a friend of Varmand.

         Utag and Svar also favored seeking out Varmand, and needed little encouragement. Although Heorl and Theya agreed to seek out Varmand, they were not very enthusiastic about the idea.

     The rich lands of the Colymar King and his followers made way for wild highlands, covered with oak and pines. We saw a grassy vale to the west, where a small river winded its way. Small steads and herds of sheep and cattle littered the vale, but our father said that we should continue to the

north where Gulik had founded his stead. So we continued north, into a range

of oak-covered hills, following a small wagon path.

     The wagon path led us through a lightly-forested woods, which Svar said

was probably good for hunting. Eventually, the woods thinned out and we got our first glimpse of the Vale of Varmand the Strong. A narrow stream had carved out a long valley between two ranges of hills. The north-western hills looked higher and were covered with woods, although a tall hill could be seen to the northeast. We saw herds of sheep grazing on the southern hills, and cattle on the valley bottom. The vale itself looked rich, grassy with the occasional stand of oak trees. In the middle of the valley, overlooking the stream, was a low hillock atop which several buildings could

be seen.

     On our way towards what we presumed was Varmand's stead, we were stopped by the sheep-herder Harstaglar and his sons. Once we gave Orlanth's

greeting and explained our position Harstaglar put down his weapons and greeted us as friends. Embarrassed by his hasty greeting, Harstaglar the Generous insisted upon leading us to Varmand's stead.

     Upon the hill before us rose Varmand's noble stead. A strong, solid oak palisade defended the guests and friends of Varmand from those who would

disturb its peace. Perched upon a wooden tower above the gate, Varmand's housecarl Gordangar hailed us. Then, we were graciously lead to the commons

so that our herd could graze. Later, the beautiful Eonislora made us feel welcome, and said that her husband and companions were out hunting for Orlanth's feast-day.

     That evening, Varmand and his seven warriors rode in, proudly carrying their booty from their forest-raid. Varmand was quite animated and kept hefting the huge boar in the air for all to see and admire. He was a big man, strong and energetic. He wore the gold torc that Chief Colymar gave him

when he married Serla of the Black Spear Clan, and his embroidered tunic was

soiled with red blood. Once the crowd quieted, Eonislora whispered something

into his ear, and lead Varmand towards our direction. Varmand introduced himself, and asked if was true that we were Gulik's kin. Jarang stepped forward and said that it was true that we were distant kin of Gulik the Stout. Then, in-between coughs, Jarang attempted to let it be known his hope of starting up a stead in these lands.

     Unfortunately, Jarang was seized by a spasm of pain and began rambling.

 Utag attempted to come to his father's aid with some additional words, but Jarang's coughing was too obstructive. Thankfully, Jarang painful coughing finally ended, and Heorl was able to put in a few good words.

     After a few moments of awkward silence, Varmand said that if we would step forward and swear loyalty to Varmand, he would speak on our behalf.  Appraising the situation, it was obvious that we had not impressed Varmand with our words, numbers, or wealth. Failure to swear this oath implied losing Varmand's friendship and generosity. Unwilling to lose Varmand's friendship, I stepped forward alongside with Svar and proclaimed that I, Illig Jarangson swear loyalty to Varmand the Strong. Although Svar uttered no words, his actions demonstrated his understanding of the situation.

     As the wind carried away my words, Utag ,then, stepped forward and offered his sword and shield providing that Varmand accepted us into the tribe. Although this was not exactly what Varmand has asked for, it sounded

bold and courageous.

     Inspired by the wisdom of Ernalda, Theya said that she would support her three brothers, but spoke no oath. I am uncertain if this is what Varmand had asked for; fortunately I doubt Varmand knows either.

     Reciting the words of Orlanth Lawspeaker, Heorl declared that this was not the manner in which the Jungardi Clan adopted applicants. Hence, Heorl would prefer to make his petition in front of the council. This clearly was

not what Varmand had asked for, but it sounded official and scholarly: which

is what lawspeakers do anyway.

     Still visibly in pain, Jarang said that his children and nephew had spoken, and that he would respect and support their judgments. He said, however, that he never had sworn an oath to any one man and would not begin the habit now.