Re: Mermen and more

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 95 13:07:33 -0500

Joerg Baumgartner
>Can an illuminate Dara Happan Gorgorma cultist join Dendara, or an
>illuminate Esrolite Babeester Gor Axe Maiden join Ernalda or even
>Voria (only if still virgin, or even if not)?

        Yes, if she can fool the priestess into believing she's not a member of the other cult. Exploiting cultural and social obligations is what the Dark Side is all about, after all.

Peter Metcalfe
>The Broo genomes exist. These are highly chaotic and have been so
>since the Turning. The Broo Sperm whilst propogated into the host
>normally requires genetic material from more mundane species so
that >its DNA will not go supercritical whilst in the host and transmute >the fetus into a gorp.

        Wowf. I hereby move that Peter Metcalfe be put in charge of the Broo Experimental Breeding Division of the Glorantha Digest's College of Sciences. Let us know what you find out, Peter. And be sure to wear sterile gloves.

>Before the Turning, the Broos were naturally fertile like the
>Kralori's Wild Man and his four hundred sacred miscenegations

        This is hard to confirm nowadays, of course. But I encourage you, Peter, to try to breed up a non-Chaos Broo to test the result. I think it is likely you are right, and that the original Broo bred in the same way as the also all-male Unicorn species does today, though perhaps with fewer restrictions. Unicorns, of course, mate with any similarly-sized ungulate with a high enough APP (normally only does or especially delicate mares will do, but I imagine there are antelope that might qualify), and the offspring is birthed in the normal manner -- males are unicorns, females are of the mother species, though high-quality.

Simon Lipscomb
>Much of my ludoch society is based on nature films about dolphins.

        A worthwhile source, so long as we keep in mind that the Mermen need to have the merman society, too -- as portrayed in song and story for centuries all over the world.

>Ouori seem the most shoreline of the merfolk - I reckon they're a
>bit like elephant seals - males fighting over mating rights with
>groups of females, that sort of thing.

        They don't spend too much time on the shore. Really they're as much like sea cows as walruses. There is an ouori who calls himself Nagloob who was quite important for a while in my campaign. I'm sure if the PCs ever make their way back to the western seas he'll become important once more.

        I play them as very easy-going creatures, though capable of rage when suitably driven. Nagloob was really nice to the PCs, helping them at his own expense against some bandits and pirates, giving them stuff, etc. Of course, he has a secret agenda like anybody else, but at least he's basing his plans for abuse of the PCs on friendship rather than blackmail or money or something crass like that. The big problem with the Ouori is that they are so large and fat their blubber is actually of value, so some cruel people are known to harpoon them and render them down.

        The major problem for all mermen is that in a conflict between humans and mermen, ships are a big factor. Ships are real tough for mermen to defeat in combat. Not impossible, but tough. For that reason, Nagloob allied with the PCs to take out his enemies -- the PCs have a ship, and backed up by mermen they're a heck of a team. In one fight, the PCs, incited by Nagloob, started simply knocking the enemy sailors (who were all good swimmers) overboard, whereupon the sailors immediately screamed, thrashed around, and drowned. The PCs found out later on that the mermen had used an undine to push a gigantic arctic jellyfish up near the ship, with stinging tentacles extending for many yards in every direction.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #84