monomyths

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 95 13:13:00 PDT

Thanks for your input on the pantheon/conflict/monomyth question - Nils makes a good point for wanting real/godplane existence for the golden age empires - the Solar empire of Yelm, and, I imagine, earlier Earth and Darkness based ones. I like this too.

Adrian White makes an elegant summary:

(Agreeing w/ Nils)
>In my opinion the religious myths of Glorantha are legends. They are based
on
something that happened. The events occurred outside time and on another plane, making them hard to comprehend and harder still to organise into a rigid
chronology, but they happened.

>The variations in the legends/myth are due to
the 1600 + years of recorded time, during which various groups have had time to change the names of the involved parties, change the sequence of events, change some of the aspects of the gods involved and otherwise adapt the legend
so that it becomes more relevant to their current environment.

This is precisely our point - myths can be altered to be more immediately relevant.

>So when these stories are related the nature of the central characters is
always fixed, the story involves the sun and the wind, if the most isolated Orlanthi
group in the world had never, ever encountered a person from Dara Happa they would still feature the sun as the evil emperor.

That was the case before Greg Messed Up Our Glorantha - before Elmal took his position as the Orlanthi Sun God, and before Shargash, loyal son of Yelm, roared into being the Dara Happan storm god. Gloranthan life used to be simple. Now it ain't. Jeff and I are merely trying to come up with player-level worldviews that don't require automatic religious antipathy to foreigners.

Interesting that Dan McClusky, another of us LatteHeads from the Emerald City (or Oz), delurks to defend his beloved trolls with:

>To conclude (finally) -- it is the beauty of Glorantha that the difference
between a Friend and a Monster is Cultural, and not Intrisic.

Which is exactly the point Jeff and I are after.

Crawling back under my reinforced hoplite shield...

Pam