Re: Troll's instinctive culture

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_hamachi.pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 14:10:11 -0700

Daniel McCluskey disagrees with Sandy:

>Matriarchy and KL Worship "instinctive"? I am afraid that I mus dissagree
>whole heartedly. ... Just
>because Trolls have a relatively homogeneous culture doesn't mean they don't
>have one. Their culture is certainly as complete as any human culture, it
>is just OLD. Uz culture was thoroughly defined and solidified around the
>time Umath broke his first tooth. It is this Ancient Heritage, combined
>with the fact that renegade Trolls outside of hell Do Not Live Very Long,
>that leads to this consistant behavior -- not any lack of ability.

I would think that the older the culture, the more likely it is to splinter and have variability. Trolls have certainly been subject to enough outside stress since Time.

While Sandy's probably using hyperbole when he says the trolls have "no" culture (there's certainly differences between the Halikiv and Dagor Inkarth trolls -- look at the cult distributions if nothing else), I think he's 100% correct that the basic behavior, unlike with humans, is instinctive. (Trolls aren't humans, after all!)

This doesn't mean the trolls aren't so stupid they can't have a culture -- the Kitori trolls must, frex. But there's little need, since instinct serves so nicely. The essence of troll culture: go with your instinct. The essence of human culture: go with what you were taught.

Humans have a certain amount of instinctive behavior, and I suspect trolls have about the same amount of cultural behavior.

>Uz are matriarcal because the Mothers are TOUGH

And the fathers are wimps?