Mono?myth, Buddha and mermen

From: Nils Weinander <niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 09:01:32 +0200

Pam:
>Nils makes a good point for wanting real/godplane existence for the golden
>age empires - the Solar empire of Yelm, and, I imagine, earlier Earth and
>Darkness based ones. I like this too.

>This is precisely our point - myths can be altered to be more immediately
>relevant.

Then we are on the same track (I think). I try to avoid speaking of Orlanth killing Yelm etc. preferring instead to say that Storm killed Sun. The reason for the deed, the names of the gods and what happened after should vary from place to place, but I'd think it really weird if Aldrya replaced Sun and Malkion replaced Storm in a certain version of the myth.

>In the same digest, I offer my cult of Lothlosh and
>Nils Weinander makes reference to Buddhism!

Well, just as part of a rather corny analogy...

>Siddharta Gautama found a
>way to stop the cycle of death and rebirth with all its necessary
>suffering by attaining to the void (chaos).

Now that's an eye-opening thought. Extrapolating this to eastern Glorantha and twisting it a bit:

"Chaos is Void, but the Void is not Chaos. That is a classic paradox which we all must resolve."

From the eclectic writings of the adventurous mandarin Ih Talwor, called Red Tiger.

Ian Gorlick:
>Nils Weinander and David Cake have both referred to cetoi as being close to
>cetaceans. I tend to think of them as closer to pinipeds (seals, sea-lions,
>walrus), more like celtic silkies than classical mermen.

I based my view on the cetoi name and how they are described with a horizontal tail fin. Thinking of the pictures in Gloranthan bestiary the seal/walrus analogy seams very good for Ouori, while the cetacean/classical merman analogy seems more likely for Ludoch.

Nils W				| And in the east the sun is rising...
Office: niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se	|

Home: nilsw_at_ibm.net