myth and culture

From: adrian_at_odin.no
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 19:01:29 +0200

I would like to further illustrate my plug for the monomyth solving all problems.

The Heortlings and Dara Happans did not evolve as separate cultures because they are geographically separate from one another but because during the Godtime the forefathers of each culture adopted vassal like relationships with the gods in question. Worship in return for aid and protection. The various godtime myths have continuity between the two cultures (because a) the events occurred and b) the myths are not just explanations for the phenomena the occur in the world (such as the sun setting) but are the genuine reason for such phenomena.

This view means that myth, religion and culture are largely inseparable from one another. In their art the Heortlings may well have portrayed the Evil Emperor as a parody of a Zistorian for much of their history, but i believe that they would still clearly identify this character as Yelm, god of the sun.

I would say that the current similarities between the myths of the different culturals/religions are not due to the myths, despite isolation and differening local environments, having been spread and found to be relevant. But that the current differences are due to this isolation and different environments. But, i would suggest that the differences are largely ones of perception and characterisation.

The occurrence of Elmal amd Shargash can be put into this perspective (N.B. This is an appropriate place for a quick "get-out-clause". I am not that familiar with Shargash and i don't have KOS to hand so I may be rusty on Elmal)

The Heortlings remember legends of a being from godtime, the loyal thane, he had some powers over light, he was obediant and steadfast, he held his tongue in front of his betters and expected discipline from his followers. They have myths of the deeds done by this being and during the passage of time have re-written (or should it be re-orated) this myths within the context of the undoubted chief of the gods Orlanth. The difference between the worship of Elmal and the worship of Yelmalio comes from this context. An Elmali wears trousers and holds his services in the open air where the winds of Orlanth can blow, a Yelmalion wears nothing under his tunic (all the better for harassing underlings :-) ) and holds his services out of doors under the impartial gaze of Yelm. The virtues that both religions hold dear are however, very similar

Meanwhile, back in Dara Happa, the folks there enter Time feeling a bit agrieved and confused. The powers of the Storm god are present in the world and need to be appeased, but the results of his mythic actions can't be denied. So they separate the unwelcome aspects of his nature into Rebelious Terminus (?) and the noble (in their opinion) aspects into Shargash. Who naturally does what he does at the beck and call of the undoubted king of the gods, Yelm.

Anyway, where am I. Well to sum up, I guess we agree myths do change and have changed but i believe that the major culures of Glorantha are defined by their religions and the results of some of the major mythic events are experienced on a daily basis by their people so to expect the inhabitants of Glorantha to have a world view that doesn't involve religious antipathy to foreigners is pretty tough.

By the way, anyone care to suggest how much direct worship Shargash gets in Dara Happa? I would suggest very little, probably less than Issaries in an Orlanthi culture. The occiasional prayer and offering to protect against storm damage or to bless a wild and precipitous action.

ttfn

Adrian White