Broo - ettes?

From: sstair_at_cs.utep.edu
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 95 15:15:44 MDT

Graeme wrote:
> This seems an appropriate time to refloat my theory that non-chaotic
> broo are satyrs. Satyrs are beastmen with horns who have to use other
> man-rune species to propagate. They tend to be lewd and rude. A very
> small extrapolation from these characteristics give us the famed broo
> that we love to hate. I propose that they are the broo that didn't
> choose to follow Thed after she was corrupted
> and have even developed a myth that explains that their magical pipes
> are a reward for suppoeting Arachne Solara instead of Chaos. Comments
> please (last time I posted this I got no (0) responses !)

Not a bad idea, but see below for an alternate suggestion.

David Cake wrote:
> I guess I implicitly assumed that the ancient race from which the
> broos descended (generally referred to as the 'mistress race broo' round
> here) reproduced somewhat differently, and where not the parasitic
> genetically amorphous things that we meet these days. My image of the
> original broo is a race of relatively conventional beast men, much more
> homogenous than todays broo, without the chaotic fertility ability to father
> children on anything with an orifice and insufficient ability to escape.
> Perhaps a race of simple goat men, closely related to satyrs. as their does
> seem to be an association with goats specifically. Most notably, they
> probably included many more females (up to around 50%), as it was before
> Thed started getting jealous of others that they were created.
> So, anyone have any information on the breeding cycle of the
> original broo race? Or better ideas than mine?

I think it would be interesting to have the 'mistress race broo' be a race of females analogous to satyrs.

If you assume that the entire race was female, and was fertile with any 'man-rune' creature, and the offspring were all females with characteristics of their father's race, one can easily see parallels with the current broo breeding cycle. I think this makes sense when you consider that Thed was a Fertility goddess.

The infrequent female broo born could be a throwback to pre-chaotic 'times'.

And since the source of the broo's chaos power is their mating 'ritual', it could be that their penises are a racial chaos feature acquired in Thed's transformtion.

Just a thought,

Steve