In defense of Sandy's position on Humakt DI

From: rstaats_at_mail2.lmi.org
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 95 09:20:54 EST

     Greetings!

          Sandy *is* my pal; so, I thought it only fair to say a couple
     things in defense of his position.

          In me previous posting, I was taking a very generic, world-view
     type of stance.  In a more specific case, Sandy has said he generally
     gives three warnings to players before he kills them.  First comes a
     hint, then a stronger hint, and at last (if the player is still
     resisting) a still stronger hint.  In this campaign, given that level
     of warning (which I think is reasonable by the way), any character who
     still walks into death's jaws is pretty much **asking for it!**
     Humakt's perspective might well be ``I don't want this fool teaching
     *any* more initiates.  Let them think he died in honor.'' :-)

          There is an old story illustrating the point.  There was a
     minister in a town in the US.  This town was along the banks of a
     river which occasionally flooded.  The weather reports came in that
     the river was going to flood.  The parish sandbagged the dike, but
     still the river came and overwashed the dike and sand bags.

          One of the ministers followers drove through the water in his
     truck and asked the minister to join him in getting to safety.  The
     minister replied ``no son, God will provide.''  The waters continued
     to rise.

          When the water was up to the steps of the church, a sheriff came
     by in a motor boat and asked the minister to join him in getting to
     safety.  The minister refused saying ``have faith, God will provide.''
     Still the waters rose.

          Finally, the minister was clinging to the church steeple and a
     FEMA helicopter came by.  The crew urged the minister to join them in
     safety, but the minister fought them off saying ``God will provide.''

          Well, sure enough, the minister drown, but he was a true
     believer.  The minister was taken up to the hallowed halls of heaven.
     When he met Saint Peter at the gate, Saint Peter said ``you seem upset
     Minister.  What is causing you such consternation?  ARen't you happy
     you were saved?''

          The minister replied ``Saved!  Sure I'm happy to be in heaven,
     but why didn't you save me from the flood on Earth?''

          Peter began, but God interrupted him saying ``Save you from the
     flood?  I sent a truck, a boat and a helicopter!  What more did you
     expect?''

          ;-)

          If you've given the Humakti fair warning then let the chips fall
     where they will.

          In service,

          Rich Staats