Tail fin directions and more

From: Nils Weinander <niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 1995 16:41:45 +0200

Me:
>I based my view on the cetoi name and how they are described with a horizontal
>tail fin.

Ian Gorlick:
>Excuse my poor memory, where is there a definite mention of a horizontal tail
>fluke?

Good question. I have read it somewhere, but my poor memory gives no indications as to where.

Me:
>I'd prefer to say that a hsunchen
>'initiate' (adult) may transform into his totem animal once a year.

David Dunham:
>I could go with this, tho I like the concept of half-transformed hsunchen.
>Maybe they made only some of their virtue rolls?

Excellent idea. Now that only requires the mapping out of various tribes' animal body parts to teir corresponding personality traits...

Daniel McCluskey:
>I think you will find that Human Daka Fal Worshipers
>are about as culturally conservative as humans get, even though most human
>Shamen are only familiar with the last four or so generations (I'm
>speculating, of course).

I think ancestor worshippers know their ancestry far longer back than that. One of the reasons it's so difficult to end the fighting in Somalia is that jsut about everybody knows their forefathers at least 10 generations back and remembers every feud for at least part of that time.

Sandy:
>All mortals have to die because Grandfather Mortal died.
>The Brithini and Mostali are living a lie.

My Brithini theory: men indeed started to age and die when Humakt killed Grandfather Mortal. One people was so scared and outraged at this that they created magical strictures which would purge them of their humanity, 'the Man rune'. To reinforce this they rejected the gods, isolated themselves and invented a story of their own purity, they are the only real men, all other are tainted by beasts. Thus they became the ass-holes we all know and hate as the Brithini.

Andrew Joelson:
>If the trolls are linked to the Man & Darkness Runes, the elves
>the Man & Plant Runes, the dwarves to the Man & Earth Runes, what rune
>are humans linked to besides the Man Rune?

The people of the East Isles believe that elemental gods created the mortal races. The Sky gods created the Goldenkin, the Sea gods created the mermen, the Earth gods created something, don't know what considering that dwarfs and elves are quite non-prominent in the Isles, the Darkness gods created trolls. Finally the Storm gods tried to create the humans. But since they are hopeless klutzes they failed miserably, so all the other elements had to help complete the new men. Thus humans are unique in that they carry a piece of all elements.

I won't turn my view on myth and truth into a moose debate about the nature of the gods and myths so I let the case rest. I know that my position is not politically correct, but it works for me.

Nils W				| And in the east the sun is rising...
Office: niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se	|

Home: nilsw_at_ibm.net

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #93