Myth, Truth, and *Nomad Gods*

From: Eric Rowe <rowe_at_CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 1995 01:27:09 -0700

Carl wades into the Myth/Truth war swinging....

>Several people posting here are guilty of a great error: the
>assumption that Glorantha is our Earth. It isn't.

No, but in Glorantha more things are 'like earth' than not.

>The extrapolation seems to run: since religious beliefs on Earth are
>mutable, and do in fact change dramatically over time, and since the
>associated myths here also change to match the cultures that tell the
>stories, the same must be true in Glorantha.
>
>Nope.
>
>Certainly the stories change on Glorantha -- they're being told by
>human beings (among others) after all. However there are clear
>reasons to think that the God Time and its events "really happened",
>and that there are limits to how far from this pattern the myths are
>permitted to get.

I suggest you take a closer look at King of Sartar and the Glorious ReAscent of Yelm. Yes, certain 'events' occured long ago, but each culture that remembers them in their own way, in the way they saw the event. Also, some of us don't believe there are any 'clear' reasons to believe most of the myths in Glorantha are based on any sort of action by 'gods'.

>I hate Berkeleyism or anything that smacks of it.

Figures, I'm living in Berkeley.

Anyway, if any of you still don't have GRoY or Fortunate Succession they have both been reprinted finally. GRoY is actually a new edition, with about 20 new pages of star lore, maps and myths. If you have the old GRoY, you can mail it in with $5 to get the new one. Also, as many of you know, Oriflam produced a brilliant French version of Nomad Gods, compatible with Dragon Pass. It is now available in the U.S. with a copy of the rules in english added in. If you already have the French version for the great board and pieces, you can get just the english rules.

These are all now available from Wizard's Attic 510-547-2185, call for information or ordering (new catalog out soon).

eric