Re: Polymyth, Pellets & Preaching

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_fit.qut.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 1995 14:46:48 +1000 (EST)

Michael sez
> Taking the example to a higher level, i'll just say that most of the
> interminable arguments on the digest originate in semantics. Words don't
> mean anything by themselves - we fill these textual vessels with
> information and send them to someone else who will have their own ideas of
> what the vessel tries to convey. Viewing the troll culture debate from my

I don't know if I can let that statement go - when we're having such a fun time before deciding how spells take a semantic component to cast. Now, there are a number of possibilities: first, the word(s) actually have part of the power of the spell in them - no words, no spell; wrongly said words, no spell.

or secondly, the words are merely vessels (texual refers to written form I believe so I wont say that ;-) that maybe jog our memory, focus our minds, link us to our god or a spirit etc. Like 'hokus pokus' today they are useless in themselves unless linked to something/one who interprets them.

I like to think that the first is true in Glorantha - words themselves have power. Saying the word Cacodemon (sp?) gives a small chance that either one of its fiends will appear to smite you down and carry you off (just enough of a chance that it's happened enough to make people _very_ wary about saying the word!). Or, that the big C. will put one of its followers your way in the near future; or that it will remember you next time you are fighting one of its followers and they DI; or ...

Despite the fact that it has been blowing a gale, you've been camped on top of this bare knoll for six days waiting for the caravan to come past, you ate the last of the bison last night, someone saw a lone (?!) broo an hour ago, you've got the runs but still have the plate armour on just in case, it's just started raining and the tent's blown into the only 200' tree around - in fact the *only* tree around... saying "curse this wind" is not part of the spiritual path mapped out for a rune-aiming Orlanthi - someone really *is* listening! The word invokes a power, the power of a curse. The response is given at the speed of, well it's appropriate really... lightning?!

Of course, this leads onto True names, and deamons et al...

Robert