Myths and truth

From: Nils Weinander <niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 1995 09:58:39 +0200

Just as I had resolved not to pursue this any further I found a couple of points I have to respond to.

Michael:
>Reality is pretty malleable after all - in Glorantha as well in our own
>oh-so-arbitrary world.

The character of reality and truth depends of course on your world view. What you speak up for here is a near-solipsistic view - there is no truth or reality beyond what your own perceptions. On the other hand you can as well say that there is a single truth, defining reality, even if you or I or anyone else cannot see it completely. However, if we cooperate and correlate our views we can come a bit closer to finding it.

It is not possible to prove either, and there are of course infinite other possibilities, but I will stick to one reality.

Me:
>Instead, by working backward, you will find a (pre)historical event which
>really happened.

Michael:
>Uh, Nils, that will result in a backward extrapolation. We can never find
>out what *really* happened, because the event has been changed by our
>preconception of it.

Wrong. The Gloranthans themselves cannot find what really happened, but we who look onto that world from outside can at least speculate. My speculation is that the myths of Glorantha are changing, culturally dependent reminiscences of single historical facts. Then there are of course problems, like the god learners' discovery that you can actually change the past, but that is the exception, not the rule. After all, the GLs got whacked for it.

Carl Fink:
>Several people posting here are guilty of a great error: the
>assumption that Glorantha is our Earth. It isn't.

Followed by a better explanation of my view than I could ever come up with myself. I'm glad I'm not alone.

Enough of philosophical points. When it comes to practical use, I completely agree that different people have differing myths about the same event.

David Dunham:
>Nils Weinander, who's probably a teetotaller, answered me:

???

If you had seen me on a new year's day, you wouldn't think I'm a teetotaller.

>It could be as simple as make 4 rolls, get 3 parts, make 3 rolls, get 2
>parts, make 2 virtue rolls, only one part transforms. Which part could be
>random, or they transform in order of rune cost.

Wouldn't it be more interesting to tie each part to a specific trait? E.g. a tiger hsunchen's head transformation depends on his Cruel, his limb transformation on Energetic and the body transformation on Valorous or something like that?

Nils W				| And in the east the sun is rising...
Office: niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se	|

Home: nilsw_at_ibm.net