Motley comments

From: Nils Weinander <niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 08:51:15 +0200

Michael:
>i'll just say that most of the
> interminable arguments on the digest originate in semantics. Words don't
> mean anything by themselves

Robert:
>I don't know if I can let that statement go - when we're having such a fun
>time before deciding how spells take a semantic component to cast. Now,
>there are a number of possibilities: first, the word(s) actually have part
>of the power of the spell in them - no words, no spell; wrongly said words,
>no spell.

>I like to think that the first is true in Glorantha - words themselves have
>power.

Someone has studied up on his vedas and upanishads...

Joerg on the god learners:
>IMO they failed because they acted like grave-robbers rather than decent
>archaeologists when digging up and interpreting myths.

I just had a slightly variant idea on why the GLs got whacked in the end. In the myths of ancient Greece the gods are jealous and relentlessly strike down anyone who gets too cocky. What if that's what happened to the GLs?

Nils W				| And in the east the sun is rising...
Office: niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se	|

Home: nilsw_at_ibm.net