Myths and Sailors

From: RICHARJE <Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 1995 10:38:03 +0800

This weekend Simon quoted me as saying:

     To which he said:
>Absolutely. How does that square with a belief that myths are convenient
>lies disseminated by priests? Heroquesting is not about making up a
>reason for why things are, but about making things the way you want them.

     I don't disagree with you Simon, although I think you are maligning Eric's comments about myths existing to explain the world. A Theyalan myth explaining mortality like the Humakt killing Grandfather Mortal is not the creation of manipulative priests (unless they were illuminated. . . ) but rather a mythic answer that is demonstratably true to those initiated into their respective cultural mysteries. Heroquesting is less about "making things the way you want them" and more about working with mythic associations to "change" the subjective world.

     Let me lay out one of my biases. IMO an explanation of Glorantha that is universal to all cultures is ultimately not possible. In Glorantha, EVEN more than in the Real Earth, reality is culturally and individually subjective.

     As to my "burn the books" war-cry, Simon said:
>Anyone who has made even a cursory examination of the Lankor Mhy library of
>Nochett, or read any of the elder sagas, knows that the runes are far more
>antequated than the middle sea empire.

     Only those initiated into the deepest mysteries of Lhankor Mhy should risk their souls by making "even a cursory examination" of the library at Nochet. Simon once again reveals his blasphemous cosmopolitan God Learner tendencies.

> Moreover, ask any sailor in the ports of the mirrorsea and they will tell
you that the runes are recognised even in places never visited by the god learners.

     Sailors? SAILORS? He's associating with blasphemous, ammoral, disrespectful sailors? I told you all that he's a God Learner and that proves it!

     Yours truly,

     Jeff Richard

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #98