Re: Berkeley; Barntar

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_hamachi.pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 11:43:07 -0700

>> I hate Berkeleyism or anything that smacks of it.
>
>Well, I'm not from Berkeley, so what exactly is that -ism?

Presumably from Bishop Berkeley, an Idealist who would have said that if a tree fell in the woods and nobody was there to hear it, it wouldn't have existed in the first place.

Here's some snippets from an off-line discussion some of us have been having.

Orlanth vs Barntar: Probably Orlanth is a cult for nobles and warriors, and Barntar a cult for commoners. In Orlanthi society, everyone is potentially a noble or warrior, so all men participates in the Orlanth cult, but not everyone has to till the soil, and Barntar tends to their special needs. Orlanth does not help the average man in daily life. But all aspire to be Orlanth.

Orlanth's mobility rune should be a giveaway that he's at best a herder's god, not a farmer's deity. This could explain the need for Barntar (whether Barntar was originally an Orlanthi hero who managed to adapt some of the storm powers for agriculture, or the agriculture deity of conquered or assimilated people).