More Myths 2 (limit 4)

From: Eric Rowe <rowe_at_CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 1995 22:20:36 -0700

Simon says...

>lies disseminated by priests? Heroquesting is not about making up a
>reason for why things are, but about making things the way you want them.

Heroquesting is also about discovering the way things really are, not the way everyone thinks they are. I do not believe that heroquesting is as much about making things change as much as it is about discovery; of self, of land, of gods.

>places never visited by the god learners. The god learners recognised the
>importance of the runes, because everywhere they went throughout the world,
>they found that everyone revered the runes, in one form or another.

This is simply untrue. If someone says it, they are a lying godlearner sympathizer. Anyway, it is important to remember that BEFORE the godlearners went looking everywhere, the Waertagi had already been there. The Waertagi ships sailed seas and oceans never even reached by godlearners, let alone analysed to any extent. If runes were widespread when the godlearners went looking, it was because they were spread by the Waertagi. But they are not, so it is a moot point anyway.

>The God Learners could probably see the world from whatever
>mythological perspective they chose, but not all at the same time.

The godlearners where strictly of the materialistic perspective. Their blindness to other forms of perspective is what caused them to err. Note that there was nothing flawed in their method, they WERE right, they just didn't understand the ramifications of their efforts as viewed from different (cosmological/mystical) perspectives.

>So was Orlanth a real person? Perhaps the founder of the Theyalan way of
>life? Did his feet, in ancient times, walk upon Sartar's green and
>pleasant land? Who can say. Did he slay Yelm? Historicaly, who can say.
>Mythologicaly - you bet.

No, no, yes (but not too ancient), anyone, no, since Yelm didn't exist until well past 100ST the no is easy, mythically, you bet. (All imho obviously)

>The what about actions by Men? by Heroes? If a man can become a god,
>the acts of men become the acts of gods. Myth is not just a covenient
>fiction, else heroquests would have no power.

I believe there are gods, but your logic on heroquests here escapes me. Please explain why heroquests would have no power in this case.

All Hail the Reaching Moon!

eric