Re: Orlanth and Barntar

From: Trystero... <wire_at_trystero.iii.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 1995 16:53:37 GMT

David Dunham writes:

>Orlanth vs Barntar: Probably Orlanth is a cult for nobles and warriors, and
>Barntar a cult for commoners. In Orlanthi society, everyone is potentially
>a noble or warrior, so all men participates in the Orlanth cult, but not
>everyone has to till the soil, and Barntar tends to their special needs.

We play that Barntar is a male subcult of Ernalda, with limited powers and progression, in much the same way that Vinga is a female subcult of Orlanth. Most male farmers initiate to both Orlanth (so they can be men) and Barntar (so they can be men with food), but the higher social classes don't bother.

I think Orlanth's primary role from the farmer's perspective is to keep the weather working (rain, not too many storms, etc.). In some senses, farmer worship of Orlanth is almost propitiatory, as compared to the respectful and devoted prayers sent to Barntar/Ernalda.

doug