Re: uzterior motives

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 95 12:50:07 -0500

>Where do the Golden Folk live? In the hidden greens? Beyond Horn
>Gate?

        Well, technically the Golden Folk are all dead. All the Praxians have are the remains of their ruins. Presumably the oasis people are their degenerate seed, but they probably have far more beast nomad blood in them than Golden Folk. And I imagine the Hidden Greens have a few genuine Golden Folk. Oh yes, and in the middle of the Krjalki Bog exist some remnants, though they aren't human.

> Almost alone among mortality myths, the Theyalans do not have a
>living breathing example of someone who does not die. To me, this
>makes me wonder about the Theyalan myth.

>>Umm. What about the Dragonewts of Dragon Pass? Do the Theyalans
>>not consider Dragonewts 'living emblems of endless progression'?

        I do not believe so. I think that Dragonewts are outside Theyalan philosophies -- exemplars of rules-breaking, and by and large Dragonewt concepts are ignored (except during the EWF). Remember that "progression" is not the Theyalan concept of eternity. Instead, they believe in cycles, in reincarnation.

LOOK AT TROLLS AGAIN
        Trolls cannot be fully understood in a vacuum. To comprehend trolls, it is necessary to have a grasp on dwarfs and elves as well. All three of these elder races make up a didactic whole that is exemplary to humanity. I have used the example of:

        trolls = id, dwarfs = ego, and elves = superego before. But this is not the only way to perceive the elder races. Another method is as follows:

        trolls = emotions, dwarfs = intellect, elves = spirituality. This perception works both ways. Trolls are not only driven by their lusts and passions (which does not rule out thinking power to direct said lusts), but they need to be _perceived_ emotionally. When thinking of, portraying, or gamemastering trolls, it is best to play on the emotions.

        Please nobody think that by exemplifying elves as "spiritual" I intend to make them good guys. Just as emotions and intellect can be used for good and bad purposes, so can spirituality. Of course, the "purpose" of the Elder Races is to demonstrate misuse of all three aspects of being. The trolls are the Bad Emotions. Dwarfs are ruthless calculating power to the point of self-destruction. Elves represent loss of self and loss of soul in their devotion to the forest. Of course this is an anthropomorphic view, but what the hell, _I'm_ a human.

Sandy's new barbarism: Uzterior.

        I kid you not, it came to me in a dream. Also in the dream I elucidated its meaning. Three troll words worth knowing (I don't know the troll word, only the English translation):

	Exterior = Hurtplace.
	Interior = Safety. A place where sunlight never reaches.
The inside of a cave, deep underground.
	Uzterior = Secret and safe. The womb. The inside of the
Castle of Lead. Not only does sunlight not reach here, it never could reach here.

Also, "uzterior" is a cognate with "ulterior", and is not only a sort of super-"interior", but implies plots and hidden meaning.

SONG OF THE ORIGINAL PERSON
(traditional Doraddi poem)

The pride of the paradise bird is the glory of Heaven The lust of the titanothere is the bounty of Heaven The wrath of the lion is the wisdom of Heaven The nakedness of woman is the work of Heaven

Darkness must go down the river of night's dreaming Flow Nakala [1] flow, let the sun and light go streaming

        Into my life

[1] The Doraddi use a different name, but the original goddess of Night is intended, so why not use the widespread term, seeing as the rest of the poem is translated, too?

(with apology to Messrs Blake and O'Neill)