More Uz and Yellow Elves

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 1995 09:10:02 GMT

David Cake, in Digest #73 asked

>2) are trolls different psychologically from humans to such an extent that
>they cannot think the same way? Is this a good thing from a roleplaying
>point of view?

I suspect not. Much of the discussion has suggested that we all know _what_ trolls do, its just a matter of interpretation as to _why_! This, admitidly could cause problems if participants in a particular session held widely variant views, but otherwise it should be OK. Uz are much more playable than, say Dragonnewts, or even Aldryami or Mostali in a 'pure' form (ie, not rogue or heretical).

in Digest #72
Dona Carlotta replying to Sandy aked

>> Trolls don't ever "see it your way". Their own way is all that ever
>> matters. Even their religions are based on this kind of psychology.
>
> How does worship of Xiola Umbar figure in this perspective?
>By this reasoning, I find it difficult to understand why a non-trollkin
>would ever join Xiola Umbar.

Xiola Umbar is the one who will comfort you and help you when you are hurt or ill, she is the flip side to Zorak Zoran. ZZ will help you to fight whatever is out there, XU will keep you healthy between fights. They are also midwives, which is a much respected skill amongst Trolls.

And back to David Cake again (#76), asking whether carniverous Aldryami should be considered

>runners (shrubs), red elves (primitive plants), or yellow elves (ferns?...),
>or even pixies (flowers)?

and then goes on to say
> Speaking of elves, do any other antipodeans find themselves mildly
>put out by the RQ separation of tree based elves into brown (deciduous) and
>green (firs and other 'evergreens')?

An error in the first part leads to this dissatisfaction. According to COP "Yellow Elves come from the tropical and semi-tropical forests of the world" - of course you'd have to ask Greg or Steve Perin why they chose yellow :) This classification is followed by both Gloranthan Bestiary ("These are kinfolk of broadleaf trees of all types, but especially the broadleafed evergreens, including palm trees") and Elder Secrets ("The Embyli are found in jumgles and rain forests" and ("Red elves...are the relatives of ferns and spore-bearing plants.")
- --

| Tim Ellis    EMail tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk                             |
| If you step on it, It's a flower.  If you trip over it, it's a shrub,   |
|    and if you walk into it it's a tree!                                 |

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #101