Orlanth and mortalility

From: Mmohrfield_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 21:45:34 -0400

In the last issue Sandy Peterson wrote
>Note
>that many of the other myths regard the intervention of Death >as
voluntary, or even difficult to obtain (Waha had to go on a hard >and
>epic search for it, for instance). Only the Theyalans view it as
>kind of a mistake, or a murder, etc.

But do the Theyalans really view Death as a mistake? According to GoG the Orlanthi answer to "why do we die?" is
"Stale the world was, unchangeing and solid. No one could die, so no one could live.
Orlanth and Humakt, brothers in bravery. Brought Death to the world and gave life an edge. Slew they the monsters who undying plagued us. First of them unchange who binds us to sloth Now there is Death, who prompts us to live life Slayer of foes who brings respite to friends." This sounds like the Theyalans are actually bragging about their god having brought death into the world. On the other hand KoS seems to blame death on Eurmal and praises Humakt for severing his ties to his kin before committing "heinous deeds" so that they would not share the blame. However, even KoS says that death was unnecessary in the"old days", so indicating that is necessary in the present age. So do the Orlanthi consider Death a blessing, a curse, a frightening necessity, or what?
                                                                      Mark
Mohrfield

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #102