Obscure maunderings...

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 1995 15:45:39 +1300

Adrian White:

>Peter Metcalf says a some things i would agree with and some which confuse me.
>How does your view "Historically the Wind of Heaven killed the Sun" tie with
>"the Sun does not cycle through Heaven and Hell by Day and by Night, because he
>was slain in ages past. The past is practically immaterial. It orbits the Inner
>World because that is a natural consequence of its interaction with the Cosmic
>Energies of the World Machine"?

Think of a car cruising down the highway. The motor is ticking along quite nicely. The cycle of the car motor is _independant_ on whether the driver had to jumpstart the car because the battery was flat or choke the engine because it was a cold morning or managed to start the car with a minimum of fuss. All that makes the motor behave as it does is the engine design and the local environment of the engine. That is the essense of what I was saying. The historical events recorded as myth are not the be-all end-all of glorantha.

>GRoY and FS come in for a lot of quotes, unfortunately I haven't read either
>(BTW do Wizards of the Coast (?) mail order to the U.K. ?), but I suspect that
>like KoS they are written "in character". If so, i would suggest that these
>books aren't very good proof of Gloranthan pre-historic events.

Wizards Attic. PO Box 718, Hayward, CA 94543-0718. They do overseas ordering. Phone No. 1-510-547-2158. There is an 1-800 number but it doesn't work for overseas.

As for the accuracy of the GRAY and the FS, I took care to seperate the actual contemporary record of the events (ie an astronomer's star chart) from it's modern interpretation (Yelm split up into six pieces after he witnessed the death of his son, Murharzarm). The modern interpretation is little more than local events conflated onto Celestial Events, IMO. The only side effect this has is that People of the Oslir Valley (Dara Happans and Lunars) have this belief that they have a Divine Mission right to rule the world...

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #103