Barntar and Aldryami

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 15:52:58 +0100

Trystero (?):
> We play that Barntar is a male subcult of Ernalda, with limited powers and
> progression, in much the same way that Vinga is a female subcult of Orlanth.
> Most male farmers initiate to both Orlanth (so they can be men) and Barntar (so
> they can be men with food), but the higher social classes don't bother.
>
> I think Orlanth's primary role from the farmer's perspective is to keep the
> weather working (rain, not too many storms, etc.). In some senses, farmer
> worship of Orlanth is almost propitiatory, as compared to the respectful and
> devoted prayers sent to Barntar/Ernalda.
We play it somewhat similarily: Vinga is the god of women taking a male role, Barntar the god of men taking a "female role". Orlanth (at least in his Adventurous and Thunderous aspects) will gladly pick a fight for honour, or showing off, but Barntar only fight if he really, really needs to. (Vadrus: "hey, whimp, come and fight me if you dare!" Barntar: "You're correct, sir - I'm a whimp, a mere cottar, and I have no intention whatsoever fighting you - I want to stay alive, thank you") Sort of a "velour-daddy" of the gods, wich makes him perfect as a cover for Orlanth cultists - since Barntar can be dangerous if he wants to.
One version of the conquest of Daga has Orlanth killing Aroka and letting Heler free, but it is Barntar who leaves his plow and goes out and whomps his cousin with the help of Heler (whose significance Orlanth really didn't noticed - you know, like the fable of the Lion and the Mouse).

Jeff Richard:
Really enjoyed your down-to-earth post about cattle loans. Remind me to post my Issaries subcult of Pods, Patron of Travelling Butcherers and Gelders, sometime.

Aldryami and plants:
I recall reading that Aldryami forests react as "a single organism" somewhere.
Now, I certainly agree that Glorantha aint Earth, but using Earthly analogies can be amusing. And on earth, various ecological types (coniferous forests, deciderous forests, etc) seems to be "fighting" each other.
Lets assume that Scandinavia really was a part of Glorantha, and here you will have the history of Aldryami over here: In the beginning, just after the Darkness, S was a cold and lonely place, frozen tundra, and the only Aldryami living there was the kin of bushes and arctic weeds; the only "elves" where the kin of the arctic birch, and otherwise the land was covered with hardy runners, pixies and sprites, as well as the goblins of the bogs and the fields of lichen, upon which the reindeer hsunchen and their animal kin lived and wandered.
But as Valind withdrew, Brown Elves entered the land: the elves of oak, birch, lime and aspen. They built vast, peaceful kingdoms, which each winter went to sleep, guarded by the hardy Green Elves of the yew and juniper against the Hollri. They drov ethe poor tundra Aldryami away further north from Yelms light. First they tried to stop on the mountains, but soon the hardy pine Aldryami came and hunted them away.
This was like a second Green Age, though more Hsunchen entered the land and settled it - but they were confined to small areas, cowering at the power of the Green King.
However, what is good may never endure. Two danger entered the land: Theyalan beliefs entered, and the humans began to clear away the forests with Oakfed and his power.
Furthermore, from the east the merciless spirits of another coniferous tree entered. They wanted all the light for themselves, and fought a victorious war against the brown elves. Soon, the evergreen tyrants stole all light from the land, with a few exceptions. They could not reach their hardy cousins, the pine elves, on their dry, high moors. They could not resist the gerilla war of the hardy aldryami of the tundras. They could not enter the swamps and bogs, stalked by goblins as well as the elves of the willow and yew. The strongest oaken kingdoms survived. In the south, the beech elves had a tyrannic rule similar to the eastern intruders, and they would not be crushed.
And some of the meek spirits of the decidous forest survived. Their elven warriors where all killed, but they instead became subjects of the humans. Thus the wild apple tree, the rosebush, the blackthorn, the birch and the lime tree survived, as well as the "cute" sprite and pixies of meadow plants. But they became slaves to the humans, sacrficing themselves or their children as food for the humans or their cattle. Sure, the humans would sacrfice to the dryads of the glens, but it was nothing like the respect they held of old, when oaken forests and pine-filled moors ruled the land.

Thus, I think Aldryami representing different ecotopes fight amongst themselves, though they may unite against trolls, dwarves, humans or chaos. These fights take decades and are mostly invisible to the human eye. The elves use the magic of the elements to change the environment for their competitors, send animals against them, fool the humans into irrigating or draining the land......

In a similar vein, many mushrooms live in symbiosis with plants. The Voralans of those mushrooms are of course allied to the Aldryami of those plants.
 Other fungi, however, are parasites living on plants, and they may be sent by trolls against the Aldryami, or may go on their own intiative, being vicious thieves and murderers. Sometimes, the Aldryami hire them as assassins and send them against enemy Aldryami, or against human crops.
Thirdly, some fungi convert dead plants and animals into earth, taking a meager part for themselves. Their Voralans are the Untouchables (talking Hindu castes, not Prohibition movies) of the Aldryami forests, taking care of offal and burials that no sane Aldryami would touch.

Erik Sieurin