Gloranthan Trivia Forum

From: Loren Miller <Loren.Miller_at_marketing.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 14:24:55 EST

David Boatright complains about the clubbish air and near-obsession with trivia and arcana on this mailing list. I agree with much of what he says. I was feeling the same way, way-back when I sent out the original diatribe on Maximum Game Fun (MGF). But you know what I discovered, David? I found that I could channel the frustration I felt into inventing my own trivia about Glorantha and sending it out to the list, and then to my surprise people took it seriously!

So here's my advice. Instead of getting frustrated at the erudite and dense atmosphere of this list, pick your own area of Glorantha and become an expert on it. I mean "area" as any field of Gloranthan studies, not just geographical areas or societies. Pick gloranthan entymology, or write a bunch of obscure and contradictory gloranthan myths. That's what all the "scholars" are doing anyway! You think they have references or proof for more than 50% of what they say about Glorantha?! No way! They get their info from the same place Greg gets his info, the Well of Knowledge of all things Gloranthan... THEY MAKE IT UP!

And if what you make up is good enough, or non-controversial enough, it becomes TRUE, just like Columbus Mercator's theories on light and the horizon (written for the old RQ Daily by Paul Reilly) became Gloranthan Truth.

And after you have made something up, and listened to the feedback you get from the folks on this list, and made necessary changes or know why not, you'll understand why so many people like to create things for Glorantha, because you find that anything that you create with truth and honesty in your heart can be made to fit seamlessly into Glorantha.

May Arachne Solara bless you!