Myths, again...

From: Nils Weinander <niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 09:11:12 +0200

At it agaim! I'll never learn.

Carl:
>What I insist on (in my personal Glorantha, of course) is that there be a
>reality outside of the observer.

To this I add my voice.

>In my Glorantha, heroquesting CANNOT
>CHANGE myth in the sense of changing Godtime events.

I agree with just about everything Carl writes, but here I have some reservations. The godtime is without linear time, so cause and effect are kind of jumbled. Perhaps you can't really change what has really happened, but you can at least create _new_ events by heroquesting. These new events might then overshadow the original ones even if these haven't changed.

So now you know - I'm not even consistent.

Simon:
>The symbols we know today are idealised God Learner
>versions, but they existed in various forms all over Glorantha before the
>time of the God Learners.

A solid round of applause for Simon. (Yes I like runes as well as a reasonably solid objective reality)

Erik:
>In this, the Aesir are really supernatural beings, but they walk the
>earth - Odin has his court somewhere in Sweden

Don't forget that Frej founded the kingdom of Sweden.

Erik on Barntar:
>Sort of a "velour-daddy" of the gods

You expect non-swedes to understand that?

False and pagan gods:

Peter makes a good argument for their differing natures. However, these categories are of course only part of the Brithini scam.

Speaking of Brithini, has anyone else seen the many similarities between them and Jack Vance's Ska from the Lyonesse trilogy?

Yelm's age:

Andrew:
> BTW, somebody said recently that Yelm only came into being as
>a composite of older myths around 100ST.

Peter:
>Eric is merely referring to Avivath's mission who founded the modern cult
>of Antirius and Yelm around 100 ST. A Cult of Yelm existed before this but
>we cannot say that Avivath resurrected the old cult

So how old are the oldest surviving Kralorelan accounts of 'Yelm'? A lot older than 100ST I'd say.

Nils W				| Here we are!
Office: niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se	| We sail on a ship made of dreams.
Home: nilsw_at_ibm.net