Myth, History and Time

From: yfcw29_at_castle.ed.ac.uk
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 95 11:09:24 BST

Carl Fink says :

>Clearly I'm not getting through: In my Glorantha, heroquesting CANNOT
>CHANGE myth in the sense of changing Godtime events. It can change
>the nature of reality, as for instance the wounding of Korasting, but
>it can't go back into the past and change what already happened.

Right, I think I begin to see what you mean. I think I disagree with you a bit less than I thought I did. I think we can both agree that time travell is not possible in Glorantha, that's the whole point of the Compromise. Thus, historical events are not available to be changed (if you see what I mean). However :

Godtime events exist outside of time. They don't just exist 'before' time, but beside it, simultaneously in the past, present and future. A heroquester who goes to a godtime event is literaly there, present at the actual event, and just as capable of changing it as anyone else.

Frex, the army of strangers that showed up at one godtime battle (I forget which one) turned out to be heroquesters who had all travelled from across time and space to fight there. Note, they had travelled FROM time, not through it.

>You* also write that "we know" that Humakt was a cult created by Arkat,
>which was originally Humath of Ralios. Um, I didn't know that. Is
>this really confirmed, or one of the perfidious net-theories that
>sometimes seem to spring up?

[* Not me]

If enough RQ fans believe it to be true, then I suppose it must become true in Glorantha. :) Personaly I think Eric is geting a little confused here. Arkat had a great influence on the cult of Humakt, but I don't rhink he created it to the same extent that Monrogh 'created' Yelmalio.

Andrew says :

> This time Carl is a off the center; whatever he desires to be true
>in _his_ Glorantha is so. But Eric is entirely correct in stating that
>the past is mutable in Greg Stafford's Glorantha,

You are geting a bit confused between godtime and past here. The gotime feels like it sould be in the past, but is not. The past is history and thus is immutable. The godtime is myth and subject to change. That does not make godtime events any less real or relevant, just different.

Erik Sieurin asks :
>Is Myth the same as the past (at least if that past is
>the godtime)?

My opinion : Godtime is equally past, present and future. It is in the mind and heart as much as it is a time and place.

Ok, ok, I know I'm going on and on. Every time these debates come up I tend to just jump in with both feet.

Simon Hibbs
yfcw29_at_castle.ed.ac.uk

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #107