Koskil's Hope (Legend)

From: Torres, Capt Timothy M <TORRESTM.HQAMC_at_MHS.SAFB.AF.MIL>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 1995 14:14 CDT

From "Koskil's Hope"

". . . And so we found ourselves floating across a mystical chasm. Mine innards turned and my brother shaman's chant sounded as if far away. Thus we came to the Clouded Door, where Dowser faced Death. The clang of great swords filled mine ears. And though I knew Dowser was the better swordsman, I lifted my bow to lend aid. Then Death did send its power after me, and though I stood firm, Death's poison deeply wounded me. But Dowser's mighty blade found its way beneath Death's guard, and the first guardian was disemboweled. And as it fell, it called to us, "Tho you have overcome death in this timeless time, you are yet mortal; Death will find you and take you before long." Then the faithful spirit went to its own noble fate while Dowser mourned its passing. I understood not that Dowser would never again be seen among us as I saw him then.

Beyond the Clouded Door, I beheld a lush grassland, and in it's center, a great lake. Above the sparkling waters of the lake flew huge birds, every one different from the rest, and likewise tremendous grazing beasts among the grasses. But on the land in the distance was a dire pestilence. A deep forboding filled my heart, for thence, of a certainty, must I journey. Only by facing the evil spirits there could I hope to end the curse of deformities and stillbirths which threatened to destroy us. . ."

[Thanks to Steve Maurer and his Heroquest rules for great inspiration]

Tim Torres