Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #104

From: Bryan John Maloney <bjm10_at_cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 17:04:41 -0400 (EDT)

> From: David Boatright <100130.3567_at_compuserve.com>
> Date: 07 Sep 95 07:20:40 EDT
> Subject: The Truth
>
> Bryan J. Maloney
> =============
> >I posit at least four "Orlanth" figures, pre-Godlearner etc:
>
> Great now Orlanth and Humakt never existed as originally written.

I've got news for you. None of the gods ever existed as "originally written". At least that's how my campaign's myth-history worked out. Why should published materials be sacrosanct? It's my campaign, after all, not Greg's, Steve's, nor Sandy's. What they write is a report of their campaigns. If I like it, I use it, or adapt it.

> If this digest gets any heavier we will need a bloody chainsaw to wade through
> it. IMO a lot of the posters have lost a grasp on the fact that this is a GAME.
> Every time some poor bastard sticks his head up and tries to say something
> which actually might be useful in game. he gets shot to pieces by the so called
> creative types. If they are so creative how come RQ and Glorantha is almost
> extinct in the market.

If you can't handle the concept of people coming up with alternative explanations and actually deviating from the "marketed writ", why not just quit the Digest and only buy what is on the market? I have found my interpretation of Orlanth to be quite useful in the context of running a game. It has given me a wealth of material to play with as a gamemaster.

Maybe YOU have lost grasp of the fact that this is a GAME. In fact, you've probably lost grasp of the fact that it is NOT a boardgame in which everything is absolutely and utterly defined and can only be defined by the commercial publisher of the game. If you can't handle a non-marketed variation, why be on this list at all? Why not just mindlessly go to the store and wait for Avalon Hill to tell you what is in your campaign?

As for creativity vs. marketing--engage three neurons at a time and you'll see that the general creativity of a roleplaying game's audience actually works AGAINST the marketing of that game to some extent. If the typical RuneQuest gamemaster is a highly creative person who creates his own situations and detail, he DOESN'T NEED to purchase pre-fab stuff. I'm a molecular biologist and a father--these things plus gaming and running a living history society eat up enough of my time. I foresee too little reward from going to the trouble of trying to get any RQ stuff I've made to commercial publication, especially since it's likely to be rejected as not fitting into AH's marketing strategy for that year. My time is worth more per hour than what AH is willing to pay me.