(no subject)

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 95 16:42:55 -0500

Loren Miller blows our cover
>Instead of getting frustrated at the erudite and dense atmosphere
of >this list, pick your own area of Glorantha and become an expert on >it. Instead of getting frustrated at the erudite and dense
>atmosphere of this list, pick your own area of Glorantha and become
>an expert on it.

        Apparently Loren's on to us, guys. We'll have to kill him.

>I have seen many off-hand references to the 3-Bean Circus.

        The most complete and concise description of these guys is in Nomad Gods. I don't think anybody knows much except that they're vaguely connected up with trickster-type activities, as well as peacefulness. In a talk with Greg about a 3-Bean Circus cult some guy had sent in, we agreed that they weren't a cult, but were simply a band of immortals/spirits/whatever who traveled the wastes. There might be mortals traveling along, but like Nick said, they're basically a bunch of unreliable hippies.

        My own guess is that they're a perfect example of the kind of thing we had running around in the Golden Age, but what do I know? If you feel like becoming an expert on something Gloranthan to follow Loren's advice, why not start here? Someone? Anyone?

Vadeli
>One could argue the point the eating your children is avoiding
>fertility.

        It seems to carefully leap aboard the far ends of the Life/Death duality without ever touching the middle ground. You _must_ have kids. and you _must_ eat them. Hmm.

DWARF SEX
        Nick Brooke (I think) once proposed that, to dwarfs, gestation and the sex act were the _same_ _thing_. I.e., they have to grind and grind for a whole 9 months (or the dwarfen equivalent). No wonder they hate sex. I loved this idea so much it was immediately adopted in all my versions of Glorantha.

David Cake
[snip explanation of Yelmalio, Hill of Gold, and anti-ZZ activitiets]

        I know I'm not supposed to just quote someone else and say how cool I thought it was, so I shan't quote David, but just saw how cool and insightful I thought his explanation was. Neato.

Eric Rowe
> Almost all civilizations and cultures on earth have some way of
>representing the Sun because there is a Sun seen from earth.
>However, I refuse to believe that all these different
>pictures/icons/disks/cuniform/sculptures relate to some fundamental
>runic truth about our Sun.

        No offense, Eric, but if you cannot see the connection here then how can you possibly understand _anything_ about Glorantha? The universality of the sun, the iconic representation, everything about the sun makes it The Way It Is not only on Earth but in Glorantha, and ignoring these obvious connections means you may have blinded yourself to the way Glorantha really works.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #109