Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #106

From: Phil Johnson <servalan_at_highway1.com.au>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:05:57 1997

> It seems to me that there needs to be a distinction between _myths_ and
> mythic events and _legends_, or, as another way of putting it, between
> GodTime events and historical or quasi-historical events. If, as in Simon's
> example, a "historical" (post-Compromise) event is given a divine sheen and
> its actors are confused with divine entities, then this strikes me as being a
> legend, and I would have no personal objection against attributing the
> phenomenon to wide-spread euhemerism. This strikes me as being particularly
> applicable to oral history cultures -- ancient events being "compressed" or
> "simplified" to make way for more recent, fresher ones in a tribe's history.

The only distinction between Myths and Legends is the time from when they happend to now. A myth is usually told by the shamens and the wise of events thousands of years previous but a legend may only be a few generations old. Heroquesting and cult holy time rituals bring those myths and legends into the present for those involved to experience and with Heroquesting one can possibly gain benifits from your cultures history.

Phil.

Anything Organized is to conservative for me...!!! That's why I like the Internet.