Dwarfs, toys and guns

From: ramos_at_crpp.u-bordeaux.fr
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 16:08:32 GMT

        At last, dwarfs are appearing in the Digest. Although IMHO they are not suited for PC play, they make some of the best NPCs. I mean, cold, remorseless, merciless, with enormous resources and weird magics. Hey, the perfect bad guys (like the Brithini, another favorite).

        However many of the things that appear on dwarfs do not take in account what I consider their main characteristic, magic as technology.

        As an example, let us consider the flintlock weapons in ES. Pretty, but too Earthlike. With a caste devoted to controlling/creating entities, I much prefer to have a one millilitre (if that is possible) fire elemental bound in the gun. You get to keep the smokepowder, the machinery (to make the barrel) but add magic instead of a mechanical contraption.

        I think many of the trade items from Bad Deal are of this sort, magic charged ordinary items, like statues that change colour with weather, self warming stones, clocks, reservoir pens, Pratchettesque (sp?) cameras (with nilmerg included), etc. You must remember that the items must be useful to the dwarfs, as they would not make them otherwise (unless in a hidden agenda). Remember, with imagination and enough nilmergs you can do anything. Pity the dwarfs have no imagination.

        I hope AJ likes this post more than the last one. And thanks. Jose Ramos

        Still no RuneQuesters in the Bordeaux area?