Angels

From: Cheiron <cheiron_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 01:12:01 -0700

Man, catching up on 20 GD in one night is murder. Re: James Dryer

>Do the Malkioni have a host of angels? The reference to the Messenger
>(just forgotten his name), who delivers the Word of Malkion, in the
>Genertela box (Book 1 - 6 Worlds section) struck me as very
>archangel-like.

And the replay by Metcalf:

>Yingar the Messanger. Yingar however was the son of Horal (ie the
>First Brithini Fighter) who was the first son of Malkion. So while
>Yingar may be an Archangel, he is originally human. Consequently
>I think Malkioni do not know of Angels in the sense of a seperate
>creation from Man. All their Angels would have been humans prior
>to Solace.

Is there a Catholic in the house? Oh well, I guess I'll have to do. I think Malkioni do have angels (heavenly aids of the Invisible God) as well as Saints (humans who have achieved Solace and aid the living.) Yingar is the later, but many adventurers will have had experience with the former. For example, your shaman summons a magic spirit, binds it with his fetch, and makes it do things for him. That's a spirit. But your priest of the Invisible God beseeches the aid of an angel (fka "Sorcerous Magic Spirit"), calls is down from the Invisible God ("Summon Magic Spirit"), chants the proper Invocation ("Command Magic Spirit") and offers it a Blessed Object (fka "Binding Object") to Dwell in. Thereafter the Guardian Angel helps the Priest with his duties.

And these are just your average basic Guardian Angels. There are also the Firey Cherubim (fka "Salamanders") the Airy Seraphim (fka "Sylphs") and a host of other Children of the Invisible God that can be Invoked by the Priests.

Whats more, certain sects of Malkionism recognize Archangels, beings of enormous power that the Invisible God created to aid him. They can be worshiped seperately from the IG, and give great aid to their followers. The Arrollian Church of Heortland recognizes the following archangels:

Humakt, The Argel of Death (think St. Michael) Chalana Arroy, the Healing Angel (think St. Raphael) Isseries, the Messenger of the Lord (think St. Gabriel) Lhankor Mhy, Archangel of Knowledge (St. Uriel) Visible Orlanth, the Archangel of the Precense of the Lord (the kabalistic Angel of the Lord whose name escapes me right now, Memmon or something like that)

And or course, Ragnaglar, the Fallen Angel who brought Chaos among us (three guesses)

Plus many others. You get the idea.