Myth/Compromise

From: MSmylie_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 14:06:41 -0400

Phil Johnson:

>The only distinction between Myths and Legends is the time from
>when they happend to now. A myth is usually told by the
>shamens and the wise of events thousands of years previous but a
>legend may only be a few generations old. Heroquesting and cult
>holy time rituals bring those myths and legends into the present for
>those involved to experience and with Heroquesting one can
>possibly gain benifits from your cultures history.

Hm; while I might agree that your distinction might be applicable to the real world, I think I would argue that in Glorantha there is the minor sticking point of the Compromise. The Compromise remains, IMO, the single most important event in the Gloranthan Grand Narrative, creating what I think needs to be interpreted as a _qualitative_ distinction between the God Time and Historic Time, not simply a quantitative one based on the calculation of the number of years that have passed. In fact, I'm not entirely certain if heroquesting allows you to deal with history or historical events per se, but rather only those events or figures that have managed to transcribe themselves into the narrative of the God Plane/Time.

Mark