Yelm in Glorantha...

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 16:56:51 +1200

Lewis Jardine:

>I was wondering how does summer work in Glorantha?
>Does Yelm alter his path?

Yelm is stronger in the summer so he rises higher. He also is bigger and brighter thus he appears closer to both the Dara Happans and the Doraddi.

>On a similar vien do the length of the days vary throughout the year in
>Glorantha...

Yes. 16 hours at midsummers night (Yelm's high holy day in Fire Season I think), 12 hours at the equinoxes and 8 hours at midwinter.

>what is the mechanism AND the mythological justification?

Mythological justifcation would vary from place to place IMO. Make it up. As for the mechanism, only the Mostali know. BTW What I have said above _contradicts_ the info in Elder Secrets but was what Nick was thinking last time I talked to him about gloranthan astronomy.

>I assume that Yelm does not alter his path.

Elder Secrets says no, it moves northward in the summer. This does leave the Doraddi having to explain why it gets hotter when the sun moves further away. So the current thinking is that the path does not move.

I really interpret the erronous info in ES as a result of God Learner Philosophy. They, like Aristotle, viewed the Heavens as being a seperate sphere from the mortal world and viewed the magical interactions between Heaven and Earth as insignificant. So they didn't pay much attention to getting things right.

Of course what really throws me about the Elder Secrets astronomy is the Blue Moon's Tidal Cycles. Imagine what it does for the sailors on the ships!

LOOKOUT: Thar She Falls!

CAPTAIN: Griefies! And the Seventh Day too! Everyone to the sides for

        a bout of Fish Feeding. One...Two..Threeeee BLEEE-ARRRHHHH!!!!