False Gods of the Brithini

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:05:58 1997

Joerg temporarily delurking

> From: POPEJ_at_cofc.edu

> Furthermore, GoG appears to support the idea that the False Gods are
> the mental construct that Westerners use to categorize/explain the
> pagan gods of their neighbors. "False Gods--According to ancient
> Malkioni history, wicked sorcerors learned to control great natural
> powers and intertwined their souls with Nature's forces to become
> creatures now worshipped by lesser beings." (Prosopaedia, p. 6). The
> 3 examples given, Ehilm, Humct, and Worlath, clearly are related to
> important pagan gods. Nor does it seem to me that these are more
> than examples--one wouldn't expect the authors to clog the Prosopaedia
> with a Malkioni False God for every pagan god.

The Kingdom of Logic - later to become drowned, iced, or Brithos - had its own set of deities, a lot of which made it into the God Learner Monomyth. Especially the titled elemental deities sound suspiciously of Brithini origin. The names given - like Nakala - come from continental Genertela, though, Nakala was a Seshnegi deity. Zaramaka may have been of Waertagi origin, Ga may or may not have been pre-Theyalan, (Aether) Primolt might be a composite (see the spelling Promalt, and the Pamaltelan Promalti people of the fiery south), Umath seems to have been pre- or early proto-Theyalan.

I once heard of the elemental schools of sorcery practiced in the Kingdom of Logic (KoL), and likely still by the Brithini of the Palace of the Pentacle (five elements...) or those of Sog University. Their leaders in the KoL may well have included Worlath and Ehilm, magicians so powerful that they rivalled the KoL deities in their respective elemental powers.

The mention of Humct seems to indicate that there were schools of the Powers as well.

Note that IMO all this was the state before the arrival of Malkion among the denizens of the KoL. Likely the "False Gods" were those sorcerers and/or native deities which did not accept Malkion's teachings, or half an age later Zzabur's.

It is only logical that the God Learners studied their own traditions of deities/demons first before including other peoples' deities into their Monomyth. It might be fun to disseminate the God Learner deities we have - the history and myth from Cults of Terror, the Monomyth introduction from Gods of Glorantha, and the recently reprinted "Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha".