Re: Gloranthan Summer Time!?!

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_fit.qut.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 16:50:31 +1000 (EST)

I would think that summer (or fire season) is just when Yelm and the fire/sky gods are more powerful. This is governed by Time. So the influence of the storm, darkness etc gods is less. To me, fire season comes from this fact rather than the other way around (ie. rather than fire/sky gods being stronger just because it's fire season).

IMHO Yelm doesn't alter course in dark season (and others), he is just dimmed by the prevalent darkness deities more and faster. Now the darkness deities are on and below the earth. If we were in the middle heavens in dark season we would find Yelm in exactly his normal position and with much less influence by the darkness. If we were in the underworld, Yelm would get short shrift indeed by mostly being blotted out by darkness. On Glorantha solid, we see the middle ground.

So for me, the path Yelm moves and the length of time it takes him to be in any one place is always constant. It just changes depending upon where you are. This would include a localised change as well: the daylight hours in the middle of fire season will be a bit shorter in Dagori Inkarth than in Sartar; amongst the lowlands of sun-worshippers daylight hours would be slightly longer. IMHO this makes Glorantha a much more interesting and varied place than a "simple" Earthly seasonal variation.

Rant'n and rav'n
Robert