Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #112

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 12:02:26 +0100

Big heap o' cudos to Loren for his good reasons for Glorantha being Earth-like.
And cudos to Sandy as well for his nifty descriptions of dwarven magic. I'm sure there is a great debate at the Decamony level and below about the most correct way of restoring dwarves that are badly damaged in line of duty (most common among Iron caste members and Rock caste members). Tin dwarves are capable of growing "bionic" replacements for lost limbs and organs, ie "clay" (organic) organs that are at least as good as the originals. (I think that they do not use the Regenerate spell or an equivalent; they "clone" a new limb from material similar to that used in dwarven food, and then they attach it. I think, by the way, that most dwarven magic should not be described as sorcery in the rules, but rather as Craft and Lore skills that can make extraordinary things when you spend MP or POW). Back to the issue: I think, however, that combined Copper-Iron efforts can create mechanical limbs that do not only have a lot of practical advantages, but also fits with the dwarven dream of becoming more machine-like and one with the Machine. However, most diamonddwarves argue that this is a devious shortcut to Diamondhood; traditional dwarves suspect any quick process instinctively. I assume there is at least one Individualist Iron Dwarf out there that has converted most of his flesh into mechanical equivalents. However, he is constantly loosing MP as he must keep all the little Animate Iron spells going so that he will be able to move; the solution is of course massive Tap of lesser non-dwarven beings during his missions Outside. Inside, he is forced to rely on a constantly decreasing supply of MP, since the Silvers follow their directions from High Up, who want to get rid of this opportunistic heretic in a politically not-to-obvious way, since he has become something of a hero among younger Irons....
"It is obvious that the cybernetic enhancement are in no way cost-effective. Sorry, no 46, we cannot let you use any more resources for this product, and we suggest that no 678, the test subject, reports to the euthanasia center for termination immediatelly."

Erik Sieurin