dwarfs, and proud of it

From: ramos_at_crpp.u-bordeaux.fr
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 13:06:52 GMT

        After the response to my last post on dwarfs, and seeing that Sandy is always ahead, I keep on rambling.

        First of all, Erik Sieurin seems to have ideas similar to mine, but he applies them differently. He said:
 In their spare time, most dwarves work towards perfection of themselves, especially Individualists. Unless they are individualists, they seldom do useful things then.

        I, however, are mainly success driven. They cannot afford to fail in their work. After his apprenticeship, a dwarf knows to do something simple perfectly. However, to enhance their usefulness to the World Machine, the dwarf wants to be able to do more. He cannot do it in his work time (adjusting the mix every three minutes, you know), so he has his free time. He will mingle with his betters, picking up techniques and ideas to apply. So it is in his free time where an Iron dwarf makes his first axe, or a Silver dwarf first cast a new spell. In his free time the dwarf can afford to fail, something unthinkable at work. Your average Joe Dwarf will do in his free time what he wants to do in his work time, until he is so good that the foreman lets him (or not).

        Only an individualist would dare to do something another dwarf has never done before, so it is they who experiment in their free time. Completing my statement:
ition of individualism).
And that is why a heresy as that can have power, because individualists tend to acquire positions of power in dwarf society (sometimes with dreadful consequences).

        Finally, and to tax your patiences a bit more, here is my PoV in the thorny issue of dwarven sexuality.

	Unlike Sandy (how dare I?) I do not think that "grinding" for nine monthis specially hard for dwarfs, considering what is their life like.
	I think they do not like grinding because they are not qualified to do
it (like so many parents). To a dwarf perfectionism, the anguish of failing is terrible. As making of dwarfs is infrequent, none get to feel confident in the process. Iron dwarfs, with a higher turnaround rate, may get the hang of it, whiwh would explain the quickness in which they are made, and the distrust of traditionalists. A bientot
Jose Ramos