glorantha & dwarven heresy

From: (nil)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 13:18:00 EST

  Hi--

  To be official, it does. To be presented unofficially, as in Tales,   Codex, my New Lolon Gospel, here on Glorantha Digest, or in your own   campaign, it does not.

> Of course, he may still own the copyright on Glorantha.

  He does.

> if he wants to make it open, let him divest himself of this

  Given that it is his own personal creation, I seriously doubt he would   ever do so.

  "growing"? "Bionic"?--clearly a Vegetarian heresy taking root here which   must be quickly extinguished. ;-) Tin dwarfs, as with any other dwarfs,   would "make" their limb replacements just as they make the Jolanti and   nilmergs. Though undoubtedly requiring appropriate dwarf "magic" these   would be fully functioning and would not require such inferior human   magic as Animate Tin or Iron, etc.

  Properly made Limbs require a core metal (possibly created by the Brass   Dwarfs), a tin sheath, copper tubing to conduct sensation, a system of   small pulleys and gears to allow motion, and a quicksilver plate for   adherence to the actual dwarf arm and to transform signals passing into   the arm into those recognized by the mechanical setup. Once assembled,   the tin dwarf would utilize an appropriate technique to seal the Limb to   the afflicted dwarf. Such Limbs might look like the original or they   might reflect a specific change to amplify the afflicted dwarfs skills   (an Iron Dwarf might have a "shield" arm which reflects human magic back   at its caster; a Rock Dwarf might have a hammer fist; etc).

> Loren:
> I am diametrically opposed to the position of those who state that
  Glorantha should NOT be Earthlike.

  I second this comment, though I would not let such a statement interfere   with your own campaign. Having gone through the exercise of   universe/world creation without assuming that earth physics applies, I   can assure you that it is virtually impossible to generate something   non-Earthlike that is not riddled with inconsistencies no matter how   much you try. I prefer to leave such attempts in Glorantha as   curiosities created by Lhankor Mhy scholars and Wizard philosophers.

> Glorantha as Shamanic Journey

  I certainly have found the experience to be at least a Heroquest within   my own life.

  Harald