Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #114

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 15:04:17 +0100

Nils comments me:
> Erik:
> >I think since Time began, you can only change things on the
> >Godplane by more or less active heroquesting. I.e, no new myths.
>
> Yes there are myths which were created after the Dawn: first Nysalor/Gbaji
> then the Red Goddess and her kin.

Uhm, but weren't those created exactly as I said, by more or less active HQ? I'll rephrase myself: Any new myths will appear because of an active effort, while before the Compromise anything done became part of Myth.
Nils on Malkioni angels:
> Which makes me wonder about another thing. Can you really interact in
> any way with the world from Solace? Have the saints gone to Solace or
> are they more like buddhist bodhisattvas who postpone nirvana for a while
> just to hang on and help the as yet unenlightened?
I always thought of the Saints as people that withheld from Solace so they could help Man. I'm dubious about the Prophets, though. Malkion and Hrestol, that is.
Jose Ramos and me seem to getting along:
> First of all, Erik Sieurin seems to have ideas similar to mine, but
> he applies them differently. He said:
> In their spare time, most dwarves work towards perfection of
> themselves, especially Individualists. Unless they are
> individualists, they seldom do useful things then.
> I, however, are mainly success driven. They cannot afford to fail in
> their work. (deleted things) . In his free time the dwarf can afford to fail, something unthinkable
> at work. Your average Joe Dwarf will do in his free time what he wants to do
> in his work time, until he is so good that the foreman lets him (or not).
An excellent idea as well, and in no way contrary to mine. This is what I would call training.
> Only an individualist would dare to do something another dwarf has
> never done before, so it is they who experiment in their free time.
I did not mean that they "experiment"; they train. I'm sure Gold Dwarves can produce handy-dandy training manuals for "Improving Your Elemental Transmutation In Your Free Time And Impressing Your Foreman". That is what they produce in their free time so they can get the resources to practice: to do things where they can afford to fail, as you say.
> And that is why a heresy as that can have power, because individualists tend
> to acquire positions of power in dwarf society (sometimes with dreadful
> consequences).

My view exactly.
I also liked your ideas of dwarves and sex, BTW.

Erik Sieurin