Dwarvces in a Persistent Vegetative State

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 12:27:02 +1200

Erik Sieurin:

A few comments on vegeterian dwarves

>However, I think the Vegetarian heresy was started by Tin and
>Quicksilver dwarves.

Not actually started. IMO the Heresy started when the Mari Conclave was conquered by the Elf Emperor Errinoru and reducated. The mostali have been rationalizing their defeat ever since. Alternatively I note from Sandy's tales that the Six Legged Empire was noted for its gardens. So the Heresy could have been a result of a counter conquest of the Empire. BTW Sandy, did the Empire breed those special insects which ate away the house of Errinoru?

>Thus vegetarian dwarves have large plantations, fertilized by a
>mixture of offal from dwarven cities and minerals mined from their
>mines.

Hmm. The Mari live in the Mountains where there is not much room for Large Plantations. However the Saga of Errinoru has him posessing this magic potion which could wither mountains. IMO this was a special acid which could turn rock to soil. The Mari Mostali know how to produce this acid (after reverse engineering a sample from the Elf Empire) which they used on their mountains to get a plot of fertile soil. Obviously they will have probelms with soil drainage and eroision so I suspect the soil is manufactured at a quarry and transported onto terraces where the crops are grown. The Mostali make up the amount of soil lost yearly by supplies from the quarry.

>These plantations are worked by machines, human workers and
>"rehabilitated" Aldryami. Usually these poor creatures are not grown
>from seeds or spores as their normal kin, but cloned en masse. This
>have the unfortunate effect of making them extremely vulnerable to
>Aldryami attacks using Vorali allies; if the elves find a spore that
>will kill one of the Corrected Aldryami, it will generally affect all
>his clones, since their souls and bodies are so closely connected.

I think the Mari would learn how to grow their own Nilmergs organically. and these would be the mainstay of the Mari Conclave. Enslaved humans are inferior material for the machine. The Nilmergs would still be vunerable to fungal infections and the like.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #118