Saints, present or not

From: owner-glorantha_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 21:05:21 +0200

Me:
>Have the saints gone to Solace or
>are they more like buddhist bodhisattvas who postpone nirvana for a while
>just to hang on and help the as yet unenlightened?

Peter:
>Well Malkion has gone to Solace and managed to return.

Has he? I thought he had a revelation about Solace, which doesn't necessarily mean that he saw it first hand. Also, Malkion is a god, not a mortal.

>The buddhist distinction between those
>who postpone nirvana and those who don't seems largely artificial to me.

Well it's part of the difference between Theravada and Mahayana, so I'd say it is a big deal.

Erik:
>I always thought of the Saints as people that withheld from Solace so
>they could help Man.

Yeah! Malkioni bodhisattvas, yet another move away from a straight christian analogy for the westerners. I'm with you!

>I'm dubious about the Prophets, though. Malkion and Hrestol, that is.

As said above I regard Malkion as a god, not a mortal, given his parentage. Hrestol was definitely a mortal, so he is a tricky case.

Blue Moon blues from Peter:
>This is news to me. How do they predict the cycle?

East Isles dream magic for instance.

Post-dawn myths:

Erik:
> >I think since Time began, you can only change things on the
> >Godplane by more or less active heroquesting. I.e, no new myths.

Me:
> Yes there are myths which were created after the Dawn: first Nysalor/Gbaji
> then the Red Goddess and her kin.

Erik:
>Uhm, but weren't those created exactly as I said, by more or less
>active HQ?

I thought you meant that you could change existing myths with heroquests but not create new ones. Misunderstanding cleared up.

Nils W				| Here we are!
Office: niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se	| We sail on a ship made of dreams.
Home: nilsw_at_ibm.net