Malkioni Sainthood, hairsplitting of

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 15:02:55 +1200

Nils Weinander:

had written:

>>>Have the saints gone to Solace or
>>>are they more like buddhist bodhisattvas who postpone nirvana for a while
>>>just to hang on and help the as yet unenlightened?

Peter:
>>Well Malkion has gone to Solace and managed to return.

>Has he? I thought he had a revelation about Solace, which doesn't
>necessarily mean that he saw it first hand.

He had a relevation, taught about Solace and went into exile. At the height of the turmoils of the Ice Age, he experienced the I Fought We Won Vision and was bodily assumed into Solace. He manifested after the Dawn to Hrestol in a Temple which began Hrestol's road to Matyrdom. All this and more is detailed in the Sog City guidebook etc.

>Also, Malkion is a god, not a mortal.

Oh? Everybody on Glorantha seems to think he was a human being. Kindly explain the difference, the Iron Rod of Rokar are very interested.

>>The buddhist distinction between those
>>who postpone nirvana and those who don't seems largely artificial to me.

>Well it's part of the difference between Theravada and Mahayana, so I'd
>say it is a big deal.

'Big deal' and 'artificial' are not mutually exclusive concepts. Look at Byzantine Theology for an extreme example of artificial hair-splitting which was a big deal to the debators involved.

Erik had written to the effect that he thought the Saints had set themselves apart from Solace but added:

>>I'm dubious about the Prophets, though. Malkion and Hrestol, that is.

Nils commented:

>As said above I regard Malkion as a god, not a mortal, given his parentage.
>Hrestol was definitely a mortal, so he is a tricky case.

A 'tricky case' which means your statement is _wrong_. Welcome to the God Learner school of Procustean Logic, Nils.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #125